You have to love the judge’s save – it’s the most American thing about American Idol – putting off the inevitable, trying to be optimistic about what’s bound to happen. Did Michael Lynche deserve to be kicked off? No, there were definitely people much worse. But did he deserve to be saved? In my opinion? No. Ruben Studdard 2.0 will just end up going home next week or the week after.
2. Casey James – With arguably the best performance of Beatles night, he has solidified himself as more than just a pretty face. With a couple of solid performances in a row, he’s established himself as a frontrunner, and it seems inevitable that he’ll make it to the end. (same as last week)
3. Lee Dewyze – While last night was not as strong as last week’s, it was still one of the more memorable performances of the evening (a bagpipist!?). He does sound a bit like David Cook at times – and his career has gone nowhere – but he seems a bit more likable, which could be his saving grace. (same as last week)
4. Siobhan Magnus – She was definitely back on last night – and has been proving herself to be the wildcard in this competition. However, as strong as she is, she could quickly go down in a surprise elimination like past favorite Carly Smithson did. (up 1)
5. Katie Stevens – I’ll be the first to admit that I underated her in the beginning. Last night’s performance eerily reminded me of a young Kelly Clarkson…and hopefully, if she keeps it up, she can become the next KC. My life may one day suck without her. (up 2)
6. Aaron Kelly – Forgetable performance, bottom three appearance – are we close to the end yet? (same as last week)
7. Michael Lynche – All I can say is WOW. I definitely thought Michael would go further in this competition, since he was initially a big frontrunner. I guess a string of lackluster performances and a lack of commercial potential may have had an effect – while he may make it a bit longer in this race, he’s now damaged goods – and his fate is clear. (down 3)
8. Tim Urban – I’m shocked he wasn’t in the final three, but not stunned that he wasn’t eliminated. His popularity must be much stronger than I expected – but that only can keep you going without strong vocals for so long. (up 1)
9. Andrew Garcia – Has he had a good performance since becoming a part of the Final 12? I don’t think so. ‘Nuf said. (down 1)
The biggest movers this week? Katie and Michael. Katie has risen for two weeks in a row – and is dangerously close to making me think she’s going to be around for a lot longer than expected. And Michael…ouch…he’s fallen 6 spots in 2 weeks…that has to hurt. But will it prove fatal?
Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.